Thursday, January 19, 2012

Why I feel alone in a crowd of people


I’m not sure I could pinpoint it exactly, this feeling of being surrounded by people and being utterly alone. It’s strange. Like no matter how many friends I have and how lovely and amazing they are and no matter how much I know deep down that they actually think I’m lovely too, I can’t shake the feeling that I am just completely unlikeable. I can’t even fathom why given the choice anyone would want to spend their time in my company. 

And I guarantee you I’m not saying this to get a bunch of “but you know I like you”’s and “you’re amazing”’s. It really has nothing to do with my searching for compliments. I just genuinely feel unfit to be around people. I feel like sadness leaks right off of my skin and sticks to others, until before they know it, they’re sad too. I know reasonably that this is not the case. I can tell myself all the pretty words, and I can smile and laugh along. And you can tell me I’m funny and I can tell you you’re great to be around. I can play along. But really I’m anxious that you’re judging me, thinking “why is this girl talking to me?” Wondering if you’re thinking I’m weird and awkward, thinking that I’m a flake, because I make all these big plans to go out and then I get home and I can breathe, and I didn’t even realize I was holding my breath in the first place.

And I am uncomfortable being alone, because I wonder if I am alone because I’m unbearable to be around. But then when I’m around people, I am generally wondering the same thing. So really this is the reason why I can feel alone in a room full of people. And you can call me weak, and say that it’s all in my head and just to get over it, and I would say, oh I would if I could. Because being lonely is getting so old.

No comments:

Post a Comment